The driving examination starts with taking the theory test.
The theory test consists of 20-40 questions depending on the category of the vehicle the permit to drive which is applied for. The questions cover traffic rules, traffic safety, traffic psychology, also technical condition of a vehicle and other issues.
The time limit given to answer the questions of the theory test is 30-40 minutes depending on the category applied for.
General requirements and procedure for carrying out the test
General requirements for carrying out the theory test:
- the test is conducted by the manager of the service bureau of the Road Administration or an employee nominated by thereof;
- the test is carried out at the service bureau of the Road Administration chosen by the examinee on the previously booked date and time;
- all applicants for the permit to drive are obliged to take the test using the computer;
- in case the applicant for the permit to drive is not able to take the test using a computer, they must submit a written application to the manager of the service bureau of the Road Administration in order to take the theory test in writing or orally. To conduct a theory test in writing or orally, the manager of the service bureau forms a test committee consisting of three members, at least one of which is the examiner of the service bureau of the Road Administration;
- the theory test is carried out in the test room of the service bureau of the Road Administration;
- as a rule the theory test is carried out in Estonian. The test can also be taken in Russian (all categories) and English (categories A and B).
When coming to the theory test the examinee must take along an identity document, which will be checked before entering the test room. Also the examinee will give their signature regarding participation at the theory test.
It is prohibited for the examinee to communicate with other examinees during the test, to use auxiliary or additional means, to use the help of unauthorised people and to make guidance notes, which may affect independent passing of the test, to distract other examinees and to make notes about the questions of the theory test during taking the test. Mobile phones and other electronic devices must be switched off.
In case of questions the examinee can turn to the examiner only. In the event of infringement of the procedure the test will be interrupted and considered to be not passed.
Taking the test and notification of the results
Before taking the theory test the examinee is introduced to the requirements and procedure of the theory test, general principles of taking the theory test is explained and the examinee's specifying questions are answered.
All examinees start taking the theory test after the examiner has given the relevant permission.
The number of the questions included in the theory test and the time period given to answer to them depends on the purpose of applying for the permit to drive.
In case of simultaneous application for the permit to drive power-driven vehicles belonging to different categories, all questions foreseen to be answered per all relevant categories of the power-driven vehicles must be answered within the time limits given to answer to the test questions.
Only one answer must be given for each question, because each question has only one correct answer.
Questions remaining unanswered by the end of the time foreseen for taking the theory test are considered to be answered wrong.
The results of the theory test will be announced to the examinee directly after the test has been completed.
In case the test is passed, the examiner will inform the examinee about how to book the practical driving test. In case of failure, the examiner will inform the examinee about how to book a repeated test.
In case the examinee fails in the theory test, they can re-take the test but not earlier than two days after the day of the test they failed.
In the event of disagreement with the test result one is entitled to make a request in accordance with the provisions stipulated in the Administrative Procedure Act within 30 days after the test results were announced. All complaints must be submitted in writing to the manager of the service bureau.
The results of the successfully completed theory test are valid 12 months starting from the date the test was taken. The validity on the theory test cannot be extended. When registering for a driving test, please note that the driving test time may be different and therefore register yourself for the driving test early.
The number of the questions in the theory test and the required minimum number of correct answers needed to pass the test and the time limit to answer to the questions
Purpose of taking the theory test
|Total number of questions||Required minimum number of correct answers||Time limit in minutes|
|To apply for a driving licence with the limited right to drive||30||25||30|
|To replace a driving licence issued in a foreign state||30||25||30|
|To restore the right to drive||30||25||30|
|Other cases stipulated by law||30||25||30|
|To apply for a permit to drive the following categories of power-driven vehicles:|
|A, A2, A1||30||26||30|
|To apply for the permit to drive road trains of categories BE, CE, DE, C1E and D1E||20||17||30|