The Estonian road network is divided into national roads, local roads, private and forest roads. The Estonian Road Administration is responsible for the construction and maintenance of national roads, local governments are responsible for local roads and respective owners are responsible for private roads.
Types of national roads
- Main roads - connect the capital with other big cities, link those cities to each other and connect the capital and other big cities to important harbours, railway nodes and border posts.
- Basic roads - connect cities to other cities and to main roads.
- Secondary roads - connect cities to towns and small towns, towns and small towns to each other or to villages and all the aforementioned to main and basic roads.
- Connecting roads - roads meant for bringing traffic together or channelling traffic flows, as well as distributor roads, access roads, ramps or other similar roads that have been built for the safe and smooth operation of an intersection of roads.
- National ice roads - roads that correspond to clause 20 of § 20 of the Traffic Act and that have been added to the list of national roads.
- Oher national roads - roads that have been added to the list of national roads, but which do not have the characteristics of the abovementioned national roads.
As of 01.01.2019, the total length of Estonian national roads is 16,608 km, with the addition of up to 87.6 km of ice roads, depending on the weather conditions.
Among national roads, there are a total of 953 km of E-roads and 1,294 km of TEN-T roads.
1609 km (9.7%) of the national roads are main roads, 2,405 km (14.5%) are basic roads, 12,480 km (75.2%) are secondary roads and others national roads and 114 km (0.7%) are ramps and connecting roads.
|Total length of the Estonian road network|
|Road type||Kilometres (km)|
|National roads||16 608 km|
|incl. main roads||1 609 km|
|basic roads||2 405 km|
|secondary roads and other national roads||12 480 km|
|connecting roads||114 km|
|Local roads||24 002 km|
|incl. highways||18 237 km|
|streets||5 209 km|
|walkways and cycle tracks||556 km|
|Private and forest roads*||18 398 km|
|A total of||59 008 km|
* 31.12.2008 data of Statistics Estonia