Removal from the register means making a vehicle removal entry in the traffic register. Suspension entry and temporary removal of the vehicle from the register do not qualify as removal from the register for the purposes of the Traffic Act.
A vehicle is generally removed from the register in connection with the surrender of vehicle usage (automobiles are to be scrapped at a respective waste treatment facility) or being exported.
Basis of the vehicle removal from register
Road Administration shall remove a vehicle from register:
- If a power-driven vehicle or its trailer is taken out of Estonia in connection with the owner of the vehicle settling in another state or the transfer of the vehicle to another state;
- based on a valid certificate of destruction in the case of:
- three-wheeled motorcycles or light four-wheeled vehicles;
- automobiles (vehicle belonging to category M1);
- trucks with a maximum mass not exceeding 3,500 kilograms (vehicle belonging to category N1);
- when the term for the temporarily registered vehicle expires;
- based on a respective application of the owner in the case of other vehicles or vintage vehicles;
- based on official information from a relevant authority of a Member State of the European Union regarding the registration of the vehicle in the respective Member State;
- based on a request of the Ministry of the Interior upon delivery of a vehicle to a museum or to an internal security training establishment as a training aid;
- based on a certificate of the Environmental Inspectorate, the Police and Border Guard Board or the Rescue Board, if a vehicle required to be scrapped has been destroyed and it cannot be promptly scrapped.
The Road Administration asks to keep in mind that a valid certificate of destruction must be presented for the removal of an automobile or a truck with a maximum mass not exceeding 3,500 kg from register. Vehicles that are to be scrapped are generally received by waste management facilities that have a waste permit and have concluded respective contracts with the Road Administration. Thus, the owner of the vehicle is only required to give the vehicle over to the waste handler who will submit an application of removal of vehicle from register and a certificate of destruction.
A certificate of destruction does not need to be submitted for removing from the register a vehicle that has been scrapped or destroyed before 1 May 2004.
Temporary removal of vehicle
If the owner of the vehicle decides that he does not wish to use the vehicle during a specific period, he is not required to fulfil the obligations of registered vehicles (e.g. third party liability insurance, heavy goods vehicle tax). In the event of that it is possible to temporarily remove a vehicle from the traffic register.
The vehicle is temporarily removed from register on the basis of an application of the owner of the vehicle or their representative. The period of the temporary removal can last from one month to 24 months. When the period stated in the application of temporary removal has passed, the vehicle is considered registered.
Vehicle will automatically be temporarily removed from the traffic register if:
The previous owner reports transfer of vehicle (a document proving transfer of ownership is required) and the transferee has not applied for amending register data within five working days. The vehicle will be considered registered once the transferee has formalised transfer of ownership.
The vehicle has been declared wanted. The vehicle is considered registered once it is no longer wanted.
A vehicle can be temporarily deleted through Road Administration’s e-service.
Temporary removal of a vehicle is free.
Export of vehicle
A vehicle is removed from traffic register if it is taken abroad from Estonia. A vehicle may be taken out of the state in connection with the owner of the vehicle settling in another state or the transfer of the vehicle to another state.
If the vehicle is removed in connection with the owner of the vehicle settling in another state or the transfer of the vehicle to another state, the registration plate should be returned to the Road Administration service bureau. An entry of removal of vehicle from the register will be made on the registration certificate or its part A and given to the owner of the vehicle. The given registration certificate is the basis for registering the vehicle in a foreign country. In case the registration certificate comprises of two parts, the Road Administration service bureau will keep part B.
A transit plate with a validity of up to 30 days shall be issued for the vehicle on the basis of an application of the owner. A state fee must be paid for the issue of a transit plate.
Some Member States require a certificate of conformity (EC-Certificate of Conformity i.e. CoC) for registering a vehicle. The owner of the vehicle may apply for the release of original documents of the vehicle at any Road Administration service bureau.
In case the vehicle is exported and registered in another EU Member State and that Member State notifies the registration of the vehicle and the vehicle has not been removed from the register upon taking it out of the country, the Road Administration shall remove the vehicle from the register on the basis of received information.